Opened to the public in 1899, the National Museum was situated in Palazzo Valloni but, as of March 18, 2001, it was reopened to the public after moving to another antique building in the historical city center, Palazzo Pergami Belluzzi. Today, the Museum has a collection of almost five thousand pieces, many of which are native to the Country and its history.
The museum holds archaeological finds from the Neolithic to the Middle Ages (the famous bronze statues of “Tanaccia” and the gold stud of the “Treasure of Domagnano“), paintings and sculptures by Guercino, seventeenth-century paintings and ancient coins of San Marino (1865-1938) as well as artifacts from ancient Egypt, Etruscan and Roman.
A rich and varied collection, both for historical periods and for the type of object, obtained through donations arrive on Titan from all over the world.
The main benefactor of the museum collection was the Italian Count, Luigi Cibrario, Minister of the Kingdom of Italy and consultant to the San Marino Government from 1862. In fact, Count Cibrario was the first to donate to the Museum. The antique bibliographic documents, from his private collection enriched the National Library. After his example, many other Italian intellectuals and political figures donated valuable items to the small State. In fact, at the time the most ancient Republic in the world symbolized the myth of the rebirth of a nation and with the donations these persons wanted to demonstrate their admiration.
National Museum (Palazzo Pergami Belluzzi)
Piazzetta del Titano, 1 – San Marino Città
Entrance Fee: € 3
From 02/01 to 07/06: 9 – 17
From 08/06 to 13/09: 8 – 20
From 14/09 to 31/12: 9 – 17
Closed: January 1, Nov. 2 (afternoon) and December 25
Visiting hours and prices may change